Sunday, February 3, 2008

What ever happened to predictability?

I've noticed a recurring trend over the past few years in television that's started to disturb me. It's the continual lack of an opening theme song on new television shows. Rarely do new shows have them anymore. Nowadays it's a quick flash of the show's title and a few nice graphics around it, then it's right back to the show. Now I'm not complaining about how quickly they're getting us back to our regularly scheduled program-in fact I really like how most shows don't cut to a commercial break after the opening title shot, but is it really necessary to completely cut out the theme song? Is there no compromise at all? Even shows that have been on for ages (that's you, ER) are getting rid of their opening sequences. I loved ER's theme-James Newton Howard really can't do any wrong. Why get rid of something so great? (Okay, so I might be the only person who watches ER anymore, but it's not the only show that's given in to the trend.) I know some shows like Ugly Betty still play a short musical quip that they try to pass off as a theme song, but it doesn't count. I want a song! Something I can sing to myself later even if there aren't any words. I want pictures! I want to see the people along with their real names so I can know who's who! Is that too much to ask? I guess so.

However, some newer shows haven't completely given up on me and still kick it old-school and show their credits in a time-span lasting longer than 10 seconds. Thank you, Flight of the Conchords, Mad Men and Journeyman. Sure the latter has since been canceled, but it was a great opening sequence and I doubt that was the reason for cancellation-nobody watched it (why?... WHY?!?).

I first noticed this happening back in 2004 when a little show called Lost debuted. The screen went black and four blurry letters slowly flew toward me and came into focus with a creepy sound that's actually kind of difficult to describe. But Lost doesn't need a theme song. Can anyone picture a bouncy song being played in the background while each character turns and smiles at the camera? No. That's why it works. But just because something works for one show, doesn't mean it has to be copied by everyone else.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter. Agree or disagree? What's your favorite theme song? Bonus points to anyone who can name which theme song my blog title came from.. and does anyone else out there watch ER with me?

***

In the spirit of great theme songs, here are a few shows with my favorites:
Weeds
Flight of the Conchords
My So-Called Life
Scrubs
Everwood (the season 1 version was the best)
House (Teardrop by Massive Attack-download this song now!)
Mad Men
30 Rock
Felicity (seasons 3 & 4 only)

There are more, I know, but this is a good start.


6 comments:

Marissa said...

I agree 100%. I love TV theme songs. Especially Felicity (you know which one) and My So-Called Life. It seems like there is one I really like now - oooh, Chuck is fun! - but I can't think of it.

I have no clue where your blog title came from. Should I?

molly said...

haha maybe. it's from http://speechlesswithoutwriters.com/
the one with Alan Cumming. I thought it was so funny when I saw it.. and I couldn't think of a better blog title at the time.

I do love Chuck's theme! Can't go wrong with Cake.

Marissa said...

Seriously?!?! How did we forget one of our very favorite opening credit sequences....CSI!!! I still watch it sometimes just for that!

molly said...

I know! I meant to put that on the list, but it got left off. consider it added now!

Haley said...

Scrubs is probably one of my favorite opening theme songs. I can't remember the first Felicity one. But I sure do remember the second one. Love it.

Can you become...

molly said...

...A new version of you...