Monday, February 11, 2008

Amazing Discoveries

A few weeks ago in my Package Design class my teacher handed out articles about new and different ways of packaging certain items. My article happened to be about self-heating packaging for liquids like coffee and soup. It was written in '04 or '05 and was talking about how these self-heating containers would be everywhere and more prominent in '07. I had never heard of them before I read the article so I was a little skeptical about it even existing at all.

This past weekend I was at Kroger with my mom and sister and in the middle of an isle was one of those huge bins overflowing with containers of what I thought was cocoa mix. I walk over to it to look at it because I'm a sucker for cocoa/coffee/or any hot beverage and I wanted to see what these were all about. To my amazement, they were the self-heating containers!! I was so excited I bought 3. They were $2 each so I couldn't buy too many just yet. But I had to see if they worked like I hoped they did and OH DID THEY! It was quite a day for me and my nerdiness. I even emailed my Package Design teacher to tell her about my findings. Needless to say, she was excited as well.

Here is the website about the products. It's pretty great and everyone should try one at least once. Just to say you have and to enjoy the experience of a self-heating container.

WARNING: You must be patient. I went through the steps of heating one of the and thought I had a dud. It took a lot longer for it to heat than my first one did. I got discouraged and moved on to my last one. But of course the way the universe works against me, my first drink started getting warm after I had already started the second one. Be patient with the coffee drinks. They take just a little more time to heat up! I had to drink two coffee drinks Sunday afternoon and I was wired for the rest of the day. It was nice.

Since all my other blogs have been about televsion (and this one obviously hasn't) let me say that I am now going to watch an episode of Mad Men, which is possibly the best new show this season. Had self-heating containers been around in the 60's, I bet these characters would use them.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Ha! I bet you were wired! Those were some big coffee drinks.

I am super ready for Mad Men to come back this summer. I want to work in that office!

molly said...

when i ever figure out how to make a good website, i'm going to start one for us to write about tv on. I've already recruited someone to live-blog during battlestar gallactica!

Marissa said...

sweet!