Friday, February 22, 2008

Simon Says


I've been a long-time watcher of American Idol. I started about midway in season 1 and have missed few episodes since. I really love the show, I have to say. It's surprising that so many people really have made an actual career for themselves and it all started with a reality show. A FOX reality show, at that. But the last two or three seasons have left me puzzled. Each year they claim they've found the best top 24 in American Idol history, but each year I'm unimpressed with what I initially see. Sure the weakest of the top 24 get weeded out by America during the first three weeks after auditions, but I still wonder how some of the contestants make it to HOLLYWOOD let alone the top 24. Also, I know a lot of it is nerves. It's different singing in front of millions of people compared to a handful. But I feel that if these people really want to "make it" and have this as their career, they shouldn't show their nerves as much as some of them do.

Take for instance Amy Davis. I mean.. come on! I had to watch her performance a couple of times to make sure it actually happened and that that noise came out of her mouth. She clearly got on this show for her looks because she has a terrible voice. I'm glad she's gone-it was the right choice-but for some strange reason I wanted her to stay at least one more week just to hear how bad she'd be again. That's mean of me, I know.

We seem to possibly have a FEW Sanjaya's this year, but the front-runner got the boot early. Poor Garrett Haley. I had high hopes for him before I heard him sing. He was funny in his pre-performance interview with Ryan Seacrest. Witty, dry humor always gets me. But then they showed his audition.. his nasally, falsetto-filled audition.. and I knew it was over.

Colton Berry was one that may have been eliminated early. I thought this performance was pretty good.. definitely not the worst of the night. He's very theatrical, had a boring stage presence and didn't change up the arrangement AT ALL (okay maybe he did deserve to go home), but I would have had two others go home before Colton; namely Luke Menard and Jason Yeager. Yikes. No good, guys.

But then again, this is only my opinion.

The early front-runners on the guys side are clearly Michael Johns and David Archuleta. They both have very different styles, but are both really great (how much cuter could David be?!). But, Michael Johns was my favorite from the start. A) He's an Aussie B) He lives in the south and C) He's got some great taste in music.. and he's not bad looking either. Let's just say he's got a lot going for him at this point. I think he'd really have to screw up to get eliminated

However, no one-NO ONE-will ever take the place of one Chris Richardson.


He will always hold a special place in my heart.

2 comments:

Haley said...

We should have The Hills parties.

molly said...

ok! I'm rady for March 24!!