Monday, March 24, 2008

The Madness: Week One

Oy! My bracket is pretty much busted. I still have 3 of my final 4 teams in it (stupid Georgetown), but i'm still a little disappointed with how I'm doing. I chose some good upsets (thank you West Virginia and Davidson!). But I also chose some head-scratchers.. they will go unnamed.

My South region is the best so far. And by "best" I mean "the region with the fewest red marks on it"; only two! And they really could have gone either way. I chose St. Mary's over Miami; a 10-7 match-up and I chose Oregon over Mississippi St; a 9-8 match-up. So really.. I'm not stupid. Two bad picks isn't so bad I guess, but I can't help but think of the first time I ever filled out a bracket back in 2001. I got an entire region correct down to the championship game (Duke won that year). I've never been able to do that well since then and it frustrates me. I'm way competitive even though I don't show it very much (or do I?!) I've been thinking that I may try not filling out a bracket next year. Or at least I won't be in any pools. I'm not in a pool involving money this year (thank goodness), but I'm in a small one on facebook and that one.. as meaningless as it is.. has me stressing out whenever the team I chose goes down by a single point. It's too much stress to endure during the most wonderful time of the year.

So I think I'll give up pooling next year and just enjoy the games. I love pulling for the underdogs and when I haven't picked the underdogs to win, I feel like a rope in a game of tug-of-war who's constantly advertising bad CBS sitcoms.

Like I said earlier, I really feel this is one of the greatest times of the year. I'm serious. I know it's just a bunch of college kids - most of whom I'm older than now, which is scary enough - but it's a great thing. For those of you who actually read this, later in the week I'm going to tell the story of how I fell in love with the game of basketball and how that led to my love of pretty much every other sport. And I'll also tell the story of why sports are so great.. or at least why I think they're so great.

Until then, so long sports fans!

4 comments:

Haley said...

Molls - it is RIDICULOUS how much I love The Hills. RIDICULOUS. Were you totally stressed out when she was wearing the dress. I just wanted her to go home!

HIMYM was good - Britney was good! Molly, I've said it before - Netflix that junk. It's a GOOD show. Do it.

I can't wait for your basketball post - even though you didn't pick State to beat Oregon. Ch.

molly said...

Oh wow. when she first mentioned altering her dress i thought "what a good idea" then I thought "how stupid is she?! it's an alberto feretti!!". I was so nervous for her. They should have her pay for that thing or something. ridiculous.

I don't know about HIMYM. i'm still VERY skeptical about it all.. even though you say it's good.

Marissa said...

Molls - I have to say that HIMYM is pretty darn funny. I don't LOVE it, but my Tivo catches it and I have mini-marathons from time to time.

Did I miss the post on how you came to fall in love with basketball?

molly said...

no no, that one will be later in the week. i skipped to the one about why i think sports are great in general, first.