Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Top 25

Everyday I find myself reading from top to bottom what seems like the entire site of ew.com. Hey, my subscription ran out.. what else am I to do? Today they have an article by Steven King. In it he lists the true Top 20 songs in his iTunes library. These are the top 20 songs with the highest play count. It's interesting. Most of them I've never heard of and will probably check out and maybe (illegally) download them. As I was reading his list, I got to thinking.. or worrying.. about mine. I love my taste in music, but many times the music I listen to I wouldn't want others to know about. Like, who would fess up with me that they also listen to a Broadway show tunes mixed cd.. that they made themselves? I could only name a couple of people who fit that description. So, I decided to reveal my list as well. It is in no way altered; I didn't spend five minutes just now starting a song and skipping to the end repeatedly to up the play count. No, no. This is my true Top 25 (I did 25 because that's how many came up in my most recently played playlist. The number is how many times it's been played).

Here goes!

Number 25
Age of Aquarius
by The 5th Dimension (9)
Nothing wrong with this one! Not at all. Turn it on and try not to sing along after the transition to "Let the Sun Shine in". I have a secret dream of wearing a long dress with flowers in my hair and performing this somewhere where no one will laugh at me.

Number 24
Crimson and Clover
Tommy James and the Shondells (9)
I've liked this song ever since I was little. It was one of those songs they played on the Oldies station (Oldies 96.3!), but they didn't play it every half hour like most of the other songs. It was a treat whenever I heard it.

Number 23
Time for Me to Fly
REO Speedwagon (9)
I imagine this would be a good song to sing at the top of your lungs after a break-up. Since I've never been involved in a break-up this is purely speculation, but I still sing it quite loud in the car. Windows rolled up, of course.

Number 22
Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games
Of Montreal (9)
A friend of mine told me about this song so I downloaded it and recognized it immediately. It's the song in the Outback Steakhouse commercials, but the original version is much better. I recommend it highly.

Number 21
Sunshine (Go Away Today)
Jonathan Edwards (9)
A good "Take this job and shove it" song. And surprisingly upbeat!

Number 20
Hope for the Hopeless
A Fine Frenzy (9)
All her music is really mellow and good to listen to while working. 

Number 19
I Call Your Name 
The Mamas and the Papas (10)
Who doesn't love Mama Cass? This is one of my favorite songs by The Mamas and the Papas. Their harmonies are pretty much flawless.

Number 18
Green Tambourine
The Lemon Pipers (10)
Another song from when I was younger that wasn't played much on the Oldies station. Always a surprise and fun to hear.

Number 17
The Way I Am
Ingrid Michaelson (10)
I learned of her from Zach Braff. He has a lot of great musicians in his top friends on his myspace page. This is where I found her.

Number 16
The Luckiest
Ben Folds (10)
This is just a really great song and every time I hear it I want to cry and I wish Ben Folds had written it about me. 

Number 15
I've Just Seen a Face
The Beatles (12)
The Beatles can't really do anything wrong. This has become a favorite recently. I borrowed the soundtrack to "Across the Universe" from a friend a few months ago and this song was on there. I couldn't remember the original version very well, so I went back and listened.. and haven't really stopped since.

Number 14
Say
John Mayer (13)
This song is on our new cd we listen to at Pottery Barn. It makes me happy.

Number 13
Falling Slowly
Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (13)
If you haven't seen the movie Once, stop what you're doing, go to Blockbuster and rent it. Thank me later.

Number 12
Sea of Love
Cat Power (13)
Any song that brings to mind Michael Cera is a good one.

Number 11
Everytime
The Frames (14)
This is a cover of a Britney Spears song. I know, I know! It's weird. But this version of the song makes the lyrics so much better. Trust me.

Number 10
Lay Me Down
The Frames (14)
I randomly downloaded this after I discovered Glen Hansard in Once (he's the lead singer of The Frames) and it's quickly become a favorite. I like strings.

Number 9
Little Boxes
Death Cab for Cutie (14)
This is actually the theme song for Weeds. Every episode they have a different band perform the song and I dug this version. It's only 49 seconds, but it's still good. I didn't realize I listened to it enough to get it in my top 25, though!

Number 8
Breathe In Breathe Out
Mat Kearny (15)
There's no specific reason why I like this song so much. It's just all-around good. 

Number 7
You're All I Need to Get By
Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell (15)
Another song that would be fun to perform. I don't know what exactly brought this in to iTunes rotation. Let's just assume I heard it on TV in the past year.

Number 6
Goodbye My Almost Lover
A Fine Frenzy (16)
Speaking of TV.. This was featured on an episode of The Hills last season. Specifically when Audrina and Justin Bobby had their "final" relationship-ending throw down. It was serious.. I mean, she didn't even speak to him during the car ride home! Another good break-up song. Obviously!

Number 5
Glascow Love Theme
Craig Armstrong (17)
This is where my musical weirdness shows. Why did it have to be in the top 5?! This is instrumental music from Love, Actually; a fine motion picture that gets harshly critiqued way too often. This is the music playing when Keira Knightly is watching the videos her friend who she thinks hates her recorded during her wedding. The videos are all of her because really he LOVES her and kept the camera on her the whole time showing sure signs of a future in stalking unattainable women. Still a good movie.

Number 4
It's All Wrong But It's All Right
Michael Johns (18)
Oh, Michael Johns. You were eliminated too soon. I thought you would have made it to the top 5 at least. Especially after this bluesified, sexified version of a Dolly Parton song I had never heard. A for effort! 

Number 3
Songbird
Eva Cassidy (18)
Another song from Love, Actually. This is when Paulo from Lost is at Laura Linney's apartment after the Christmas party. It's pretty and Laura Linney deserves 5 Oscars, if not more. 

Number 2
PM's Love Theme
Craig Armstrong (18)
Hm. I must have been on a Love, Actually kick within the past few months because we have another song from the soundtrack right here! This is the big dramatic music that's played at the end while the kid's running through the airport and all that jazz. I really like it. I'm not exactly sure if this is the actual title of the song, though. Who or what is PM? I'm not sure. Does this make sense to anyone else? I illegally downloaded it so someone could have easily renamed it, I'm sure. 

Number 1
If I Fell
Jason Castro (20)
Who better to hold the number 1 spot than my flavor of the week, Mr. Jason Castro? This is the first song of his I downloaded and I apparently liked it more than I realized. But really, he has a great recording voice and I love this simplified version of the song. Like I've said before (see blog below) he doesn't have a strong voice that distracts from what he's singing about. I think that's what music needs now rather than 15 year olds who sing songs about "freaking out" with a techno beat in the background. That's just my opinion, though. 
But really, if you want to hear how good Jason Castro really is, download these: "If I Fell", "Over the Rainbow", "Forever in Bluejeans", "Travelin' Thru" and "I Don't Wanna Cry". I know I've been singing his praises a lot, but he's completely underrated.

Aaaaanyway. There's my top 25. I'm actually not as embarrassed as I thought I would be. Sorry for the mostly long-winded explanations of all the songs. I like to give a little background information from time to time. 

What songs are in your iTunes top 25? I want to know.

8 comments:

emily said...

1. I realize I am one of those people who listens to waayy to much Broadway music.

2. If I actually used my itunes it would be a sad (though not to me, but probably to my music-y friends) of Billy Joel, the Men's Quartet from First Baptist, and James Taylor. Jealous?!

3. oh, oldies 96.3...I miss it. I really do. I remember singing to Crimson and Clover and trying to make my voice sound like the song. I failed and I'm pretty sure it annoyed John...but I had fun.

Marissa said...

I like your shout out to Oldies 96.3. I loved that station - fond memories of riding in the Fairmont on the way to the pool at Cedars of Lebanon. Crimson and Clover is probably one of my favorite songs of all time - plus, it was on The Wonders Years - that made me love it even more.
I'm curious what my Top 25 would be now. I might have to check it out.

Haley said...

1. Best. Blog. Ever.

2. I love A Fine Frenzy!

3. And The Frames!

4. And Love Actually! I "actually" recognized where those songs were from, before you even mentioned the movie!

5. Weeds + Little Boxes + Death Cab = Good.

6. Oh Michael Johns and Jason Castro. We hardly knew ya.

7. I feel like there is so much more that I want to comment on. I'm definitely doing this.

Haley said...

8. I remembered. Don't hate on Miley.

Jess(ica) said...

Those are good songs! I would not be willing to reveal mine. I'm guessing "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown would be near the top, and no one really needs to know that... well, except for everyone reading these comments. Hello readers- I'm not as shallow as I sound, promise!

Also, I love, love, LOVE the soundtrack from Love Actually (and the movie for that matter too). The instrumental song when the video of Kiera is playing... *sigh* such goodness. And I love Falling Slowly and Ingrid Michaelson too!

And since your list looks so yummy, I might be spending some time with iTunes tonight and checking out these others.

p.s. You are a great writer!

molly said...

Okay, Haley. Sorry I hated on Miley. I have to confess that I did download that song and it's quite catchy, but really we don't need anything else on our airwaves that's any sort of similar to it. I just don't like her. I'm sorry.
I'm excited to see your list, though! I bet it will be good.
I'm glad you and Jessica both share my love for the Love, Actually soundtrack! Who knew?!

Haley said...

Molly, it's TONIGHT! Ack! Who's it going to be? DC or DA?

I thought DC was SO great last night - despite what Simon said.

LOVE him.

Sarah Stephens said...

Molly, I found your site through Haley's blog. I loved this post.

BTW, PM stands for Prime Minister. It's Hugh Grant's character's theme, I believe.