Monday, May 10, 2010

I like my friends

Sometimes I have "movie moments" in my head. These are times when I think to myself during certain situations that my life is playing out like a movie. Usually, though, they're not as exciting or funny or fill-in-the-blank as a real movie. But last night a had a movie (or in this case, TV) moment and it was perfect.


I tend to be a big fan of television shows that have large families. Right now I love Brothers & Sisters and am catching up on Parenthood. Both of these shows have families with adult siblings who seem to be very close in age. When they're all together (usually at a dinner table with lots of wine), they all seem to be having so much fun.. even when they're fighting. They're loud, maybe sometimes obnoxious, but they love each other and are simply enjoying the company of their family. It's nice to see. (Not that I don't enjoy the company of MY family.. i love them! we just aren't as entertaining as a tv family. we don't drink wine.)


Last night was Sunday dinner at Haley and Sarah's house. This is usually a weekly occurrence (of which i am new to) but it had been on hiatus for a while. We gathered, grilled food, made a pesto pasta (which i really wish i had right now) and casually watched last week's episode of Modern Family.


Sarah was a little late to the game because she was driving back from visiting her family in Mississippi and as we were sitting at the dinner table, passing food and filling each other's plates, I had two thoughts: 1) I hoped that everyone's family knew that we all had a good meal and friends to be with that night. Sometimes I still feel like a college student when I'm around all my friends. Most aren't from Nashville, so I immediately get in that mind-set that we're poor and eat cereal every night for supper. But we don't because 2) we're kind of adults. And this was my "movie moment". Here were 6 people from different parts of the country sitting around a dinner table with a really great meal in front of them that they had prepared themselves. Laughing about stupid things, talking about helping the flood victims and sharing the recipe for pesto pasta (it was so good). It may not seem like a lot, and you may be thinking "duh. this happens every day". But it's comforting. I almost didn't go because i was tired and had just started watching season 1 of Lost and didn't want to stop. But it's a good thing i did.

10 comments:

Marissa said...

this made me smile. (and let's be honest, cry a little bit, too.) i wish our family did drink wine - can you imagine?!

molly said...

that would be hilarious.. and kind of great!

Sarah Stephens said...

Okay, so I'm teary today anyway. Then I read this and was smiling through tears. After all, laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.

We love you and love having you around. Next Sunday night. Be there.

molly said...

aw. as long as they're happy tears, i'm ok with that!

RNH said...

I love love love this post! Remember, we sing prayers too! It was a great time!

Jordan Hester said...

Molly, I love movie moments and I love that you got to have one last night...I totally get that...yay for sweet friends and movie moments. :)

ryan hester said...

ps. It is really ryan hester not jordan hester that left the above comment...whoops

molly said...

HA. I figured as much. I didn't think that sounded like Jordan. Glad you have movie moments, too!

Anna said...

i love movie moments too, and love this one. molly- "life...be in it!" glad you are. love you and miss you.

Haley said...

Oh, Molly. This is why I have always loved you! Because for crazy things like TV moments, we are so perfectly in tune! I have been saying forever that family dinner reminds me of the opening credits of Family Matters or Full House. (But Brothers & Sisters and Parenthood are probably more accurate and for sure more timely.)

Thanks for the kind words. I love it when you're in my life.